Friday, October 3, 2008

Our own flood

Hello to everyone,

Well, what a day it's been. Don left very early this AM to make some deliveries. And I thought it was going to be an easy day and try to catch up on some work here. Abbie sort of keeps the work down to a minimum, but I did do some of the "left behind" work that needed doing. Then this afternoon, our watchman, and yardman came over. I figured the yard man came for his pay, but the watchman I wasn't sure about. They were both very excited and I had a hard time understanding both of them talking at once. Finally, I figured out they were saying they heard water running in the dorm. I grabbed the keys and started running over there. Water was rushing out UNDER the door. I had a hard time getting it open and getting in. I was ankle deep in water and saw a fountain flowing from a pipe under the kitchen sink. It had thrown bottles of cleaner and all sorts of things into the dining room. I yelled for the watchman to run and turn off the water. Then just stood there. The kitchen, living room and dining room were all flooded big time. I made a quick call to Don to get home...he said maybe 2 hours and he'd be here. It ended up being almost 5 hours before he came. I called Vero and had her get one of our girls over to help. Both Toto (our watchman) and Pepe (our yardman) helped use brooms, cardboard boxes, and whatever we could find to push the water out the door. Leah, one of our workers, came right away and started working on it, too. Even Abbie helped, well, sort of. I praise God the water didn't go into the bedrooms, although we couldn't figure out why it didn't. We had a REAL mess to clean up. We ended up tipping up the stove, to get the water out from the inside, moved all the furniture, and kept sweeping for an hour and a half. Then the girls started mopping up what they could from that point on. It is still seeping out from under the cupboards. The living room furniture has wet bottoms. Tomorrow we will put some of the things outside to try and dry them out. Nope, pipe isn't fixed. Don got home too late. But praise God we had a shutoff valve for just the dorm. The yard looks almost as bad as when we had the heavy rains. Even some of the people that come, looked in and decided no way would they get help today. What a fun time!!!

Still waiting on word on the container. Our broker said this AM that he still thinks Monday is a go. We'll see. Keep praying.

I am going to try and figure out how to download some pictures from my phone here. I took a couple at the airport on Tuesday and we laughed and laughed. This was the second time we saw this, and I finally realized I did have the camera on the phone. (I'm not very technically literate, so don't use it). They ran out of fuel for running the things at the airport. Well, they got a 55 gallon drum. With a hose, transferred the fuel to 5 gallon cans. Then, using one of the cones they put around the planes (so you don't get too close), they turned that dirty thing over, put it in the gas tank and poured fuel into the holding tank. The remark, from another missionary, "Well, we're in Haiti!!"

I am going to close and try to accomplish some work yet tonight before power is off.

You all have a super great evening and day tomorrow. Keep Jesus at the front of all things!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.