Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas Blessings

This last week has been VERY busy and very good. Don has been out delivering food (praise God for the buckets)!! We had a really great Thanksgiving meal with the fellowship from English church. And Christmas decorations are up, here at least.

Our personal Thanksgiving day was grilled cheese sandwiches, but on Saturday, we had a Thanksgiving meal at the radio station (where English Bible Fellowship meets). It was not all Americans, it was Canadians and Haitians as well. Our whole attitude with it was to simply Give God Thanks for all things. We had a good turn out. About 64 people, I think. Great food and great fellowship. Yes, lots of work went into it, but it was worth it.

Then the following week Don delivered more buckets and I was able to catch up on a lot of the work left undone over the last month. We also wrote, printed, stuffed, sealed and got ready to send, our Christmas news letter. And then, much to Vero and Abbie's delight, got out the Christmas decorations. Abbie is such a delight...no matter what I pulled out of the boxes, she said, "Oh, that is SO beautiful." After about the tenth time it became a bit overdone, but she was still so excited. And her reflection on things was unique. Plugging in and checking lights... her comment was, "Oh, Jesus' lights...like we are supposed to be for Him." And with each manger scene (I have many), she would make me stop and tell her the Christmas story again. After the second one, I told her I had already told her the story. She said, "Oh but Grandma, I LOVE to hear it again and again." One year I had put my ornaments in some of the gift boxes, for safe keeping. So, now, after the tree is up, I simply put those already decorated, empty boxes, under the tree. For effect I guess. She sat and looked at them and said, "Oh, presents for Jesus?" I said, "no, empty boxes, you saw me take the ornaments out, remember?" She simply said, "But it's Jesus birthday, so those are presents for him." I guess our hearts should be in those boxes. That would be a great present, wouldn't it? Not so much for Him, but for us. I had told Vero about our first Christmas as Christians, and how we had NOTHING at all, since Don had been laid off. But we had a birthday party for Jesus that year. Had a cake for Him, and a party, FOR HIM. Well, Abbie picked up on that, and now wants to have a birthday party for Jesus on Christmas. So, we will. I'll make a birthday cake for Him and we'll celebrate HIS birth.

Christmas day we will be having an open house for the mission community. Several people had asked what we were going to do, so the committee at English church asked if we could do that, at the dorm. I said sure, why not. So, I'll also make a "Birthday Cake for Jesus" for that, too. It will be fun to be with the mission community and celebrate the day.

Yesterday we had one of the missionaries that we know only a bit speak. He was SO good. As missionaries in a foreign land, we all experience those times of "why am I here, am I really doing any good for the Lord, and am I making a difference". His message was one that was such an uplift and encouragement for us all. I thought it was just for me, until I heard after church, others saying, boy was that for ME. He used the scripture in Exodus chapter 2, where Pharaoh's daughter took in Moses. He said it was ONE act of kindness and compassion, that changed history. Then he related it to us, not only here on the field, but to all Christians, who share the love and compassion of Christ, and how it could make a difference in even ONE life. That is history changing for that person. And how many do we share with, and how many lives will have their history changed by doing simply what the Lord asked us to do? We are to be encouraged by what Pharaoh's daughter accomplished, without her knowing or seeing what the future held. And how the Lord can use us, even when we can't see or foresee the future. When God guides, we can abide in Him. So even when YOU are discouraged, and can't see any results of your witness, trust the Lord to use it to His glory and let Him take over.

Well, it's back to work and getting things done here. In only 4 weeks, our busiest time of the year starts... teams and blessings for a whole lot of people. So, need to get things organized on this end and start working out schedules. Till next time, be encouraged that God can use you wherever you are. Know we are praying for God to bless and take care of you. And remember, on His birthday, WE got the gift... life everlasting when we accept Him.

No comments: