Friday, July 20, 2012

Wind, no rain and chicken pox...

I have to say this program has been a real pain lately.  I added a post, and it's not there, from a week ago.  And then when I tried to sign in, it wouldn't let me.  Aside from the frustration of technology, we are doing okay.

Since the last post on here, life has been a bit hectic.  Savanah and I never made it to the airport.  She came down with chicken pox.  This poor kiddo is just going through so much.  But it amazes me how quickly she has overcome it.  I was in touch with the doc in Cap, getting advice from an American.  I took some pictures to send her, but they were so bad you could not tell anything.  After describing what it looked like and how these "blister" type things were acting, it was determined, through her and with advice from a US pediatrician, that yes, she had chicken pox.  She did have a slight fever twice, but not really high.  And she responded to the Tylenol quickly.  The baby benadryl helped with the itching.  But we had to try and keep her covered, so she wouldn't scratch and infect the spots.  Now, THAT was NOT easy.  We are in the upper 90's and low 100's, and having to put pants and sleeves on her was torture.  Praise the Lord, we are over that and she is doing really well.  

Now the next saga has started...Veronique has chicken pox.  I was concerned that the kids at IDADEE would have it, since Savanah was out there when she must have contacted it.  (Not sure of the incubation period, but the doc figured it out, and it started before we returned).  Vero said the kids out there were "itching", but she didn't think it was what Savanah had.  Now that she has blisters all over, she is thinking maybe they did have it.  Be that as it may, we hope everyone is on the way to healing.

We have had some really bad winds lately.  The one day the wind picked up, real quick, and my first thought was that we didn't realize a hurricane was coming.  It wasn't, but it sure seemed like it.  I thought for a while that we may lose some of our roof.  But we didn't.  Then we found out the next day that this short, bad, wind "spurt", had been all over Haiti.  It took down a billboard in Port au Prince and killed a couple of people.  The winds only lasted, at the worst, about 45 minutes.  But it was a bit scary.

Don has been hauling water all over.  He took one load part way up a near mountain to one of "our kids".  Then made a second trip to that area for others in the community.  They were so thankful.  Like the US, we were going through a time of no rains and no water for anyone.  We praise God our well is deep and good and that we have never run out of water.  I think the Lord has kept it full, to help others who desperately need it.  Don has also taken food to some very needy areas.  We have had a bit of rain, but not enough to even settle the heavy dust that is everywhere.

I don't know if you all enjoy the Gaither "Homecoming" videos, but I sure do.  I only have one, but I sure enjoy listening and watching all the "old" favorites sing songs that I have heard through the years.  My brother and sister-in-law had given my sister a dvd by Bill Gaither.  It was a memorial dedicated to George Younce, one of the greatest Christian singers of all time.  When my sister passed away, they gave me the dvd.    The two songs I enjoyed most that he made famous were, "This Old House" and "Thanks to Calvary".  Anything he sang was memorable, but those two were awesome.  And they remind me so much of how each and everyone one of us need the Lord with us at all times.  I enjoy music, but really have been touched by this dvd.  

Well, it's back to work.  Savanah is sleeping and that's the time I get some work done.  I am praying that God is working daily in your life, as He is in ours.  Each day we have so much to thank Him for, and each day we have so much to learn from Him.  I pray you are walking hand in hand with the Man who stilled the waters.  (Another song I enjoyed a long time ago).  And a final line from a Christian chorus, "When you walk with the Lord, you don't get bored...!".   Isn't that the truth though?  We never cease to be amazed by God and His awesome works.  I pray you are walking with Him, and keeping hold of His hand in all you do.  Until next time, God bless and keep you!  

No comments: