Saturday, February 16, 2019

The Journey


The Journey…  this was sent and not posted on 12-15-18 (a computer error)

I know we have all had a “journey” that brought insight to us.  That is what this is, My Journey.  The fact that it took me less than a week to travel it, does not make it any less important.

Many know the road I traveled with finding out I had cancer.  It wasn’t long.  Less than a month.  It’s the road that followed I’m talking about.  And I thought I’d share a bit of that journey with you.  I can lay down the “facts” without much thought….

Day 1:  I traveled up to the hospital for surgery.  It was in and out…well, it was supposed to be in and out.   The fact that I had a problem coming out of the anesthesia was the start of this journey.  Within a few hours there was a line outside my room, of people waiting to come in and “test” me.  I’m not sure who was all out there, family simply said there was a line waiting.  The result of all of this?  I was sent down to SICU (surgical intensive care unit).  

Day 2:  Don, Christine (daughter) and Dale (son) were there all day. That night I had a heart catherization.  Don and the kids returned home (couldn’t sleep in the room).  

Day 3:  Was released to go back to Christine’s home.

Day 4:  Afternoon, had a heart problem. (heart rate 145 bpm).  After calling hospital (the one I had been in about 40 miles away), they said take me to the ER here in town.  Sent over 6 hours there (2 cat scans and an ultra sound).  Then sent via ambulance back to first hospital.  

Day 5-6:  Under observation.  Finally released and returned to Christine’s home on day 6. 

Doesn’t sound that intense.  But it wasn’t until day 4 that I found out I had a minor heart attack.  All of the above does NOT tell you about my REAL journey.  The fact that the surgery took care of the cancer problem (it was contained, and I only have to return for check~ups) is not the highlight of this.  Although it IS a huge highlight, praise the Lord!!

What I want to share with you is the people the Lord put in my path through all of this.  First is my family!  They were here by my side, (or on the phone) the whole time. I am so thankful for them.  Next was the Chaplain at the hospital…we knew Randy from a long time ago.  What a blessing he was with his encouragement and prayers.  I hold them close in my heart!  

Now I know staff at hospitals are NOT to become personally involved with patients, and they didn’t… BUT….

My doctors (and they were many) were all great and thankfully had a good sense of humor. (They had to, to deal with me!). 

But it’s my nurses and nursing practitioners who impacted my life!  And although I totally appreciate the work they do, and are not acknowledged for, it was the personality of these people that made a difference.  First, I do understand that these professionals are the mainstay of hospitals.  They work hard but also do so much more than most people realize. And for this I am really thankful.  But the people I came in contact with this time were far above their work.  Yes, they were kind, thoughtful, speaking softly, and kindly and did their work without fault.  But it was their spirit that reached out to me.  I felt a connection with them.  It was everywhere I went….From the 7th floor at the hospital to the SICU, the ER and technicians, to the ambulance guys, and again back to the 7th floor.  I feel the Lord just drew these wonderful people to help me calmly and peacefully through this difficult journey.  

Through all the tests, the 20+ punctures with needles, the one day when I simply didn’t understand why the Lord allowed it all, to the final day I was declared in great shape to go home, it was the Lord, but it was also all those caring, wonderful people who gave me joy, peace and hope.  They lifted me up and helped me deal in a wonderful way!

I know I am in a crazy, wonderful family.  And along with them, we had a very interesting time on my journey.  

I’ve dealt with some tough stuff this week, but dealt with it in a great way, with some great family and friends.  I know I probably won’t see these wonderful professionals again, but they made a huge impact on my life.  So, if you ever get into the type of situation I was in, look for the people the Lord puts in line with you.  Then PRAISE HIM FOR ALL HE HAS DONE!!! 
1 Thess. 5: 16-18, “”16 be joyful always; 17 pray continually; 18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

No comments: