Thursday, September 10, 2009

Problems abound

Times are tough. I got word last Sunday evening, Sept. 6th, that my sister would probably not make it through the night. She had been in intensive care for over a week. I had talked to her nurse that gave me the news. I called my daughter and let her know what he said. She immediately left to drive the 32 miles to be with her. I told her as soon as I had made flight arrangements, I'd call and let her know. I signed off with her and a huge storm hit. We don't have Internet when we have a storm. Well, it was a BAD storm. Lightening hit and we are not sure if it hit the modem or if it hit the satellite dish outside, but we are now without Internet. This is a very difficult situation for us, not to have communication with the US now.

The next AM I called our daughter via satellite phone (very expensive). I found out my sister had gone to be with the Lord at 5:46 AM that morning. She had been in pretty bad shape for a while and this was a blessing for her, but a hard, hard time for the rest of us. I made all the arrangements and flew out of Haiti on Tuesday.


When we flew out of Haiti, by a miracle, it was a very early flight. We arrived back in Fort Pierce at a little after 3 PM. When we were taxing up to the immigration building, I noticed one of the props was not turning. Found out a while later that the engine had quit. Now MFI is down to only ONE plane flying. Two of them have an engine out. MFI needs a whole lot of prayers. I ask that you put that high on a prayer list. And share that with anyone willing to pray.

On Wednesday I flew up to Wisconsin. When I got here, I was informed my brother's wife was taken to the emergency room, and admitted to intensive care here in town. They said her heart was not beating right. But had a hard time figuring out exactly what was wrong and what to do about it. All I kept thinking was, what else can happen? They transferred her to another hospital and they did something called a TEE...inserting "something" down her throat and to her heart. They sort of "jump started" the heart. (Can you tell I have no medical knowledge and don't really understand all that happened?) She is doing fine now and came home today. PRAISE THE LORD!!!!

I am slowly coming to grips with LeAnne's passing. It's hard. She is my only sister and we were really close. But she is without pain and praising God now, and it is US who are here, very sad for ourselves, but not for her. Keep me, my brother, and LeAnne's family in prayer. Our kids were close to her too, so they could use some prayers as well.

So, now you are caught up on my side of the family. Don is in Haiti, taking care of Vero, Betty and Abbie. Well, actually they might be taking care of him. He is continuing with all of his work, so he can use your prayers, too.

For now, praise God for His goodness, HE IS IN CONTROL!!! He knows better than all of us what is happening and what we need. I return to Haiti on Tuesday, so from that time on, until we can find a way to fix our satellite, we will have no communication on the Internet. Keep us all in prayer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen,
I don't know if you remember me - we lived in Cap a few years back and have flown MFI frequently. Anyway, I read your blog and want you to know that you are in my prayers.I'll be praying for MFI too! I had not heard about those troubles.(Debbie Vanderbeek)