Sunday, August 31, 2014

Another of "those" months

It seems our life is never "dull".   Although I would not consider this last month fun...it certainly has not been dull.

After my last post, I was getting near to catching up on things...well it never happened.  We were home a week and a half and I was hit with the Chikungunya virus.  At some point I will write that whole experience up so others will know exactly what people went through.  At this point, just let me say that you would not believe what it is like.  After about 4 days, I thought I was feeling better.  I had gotten a rash on my leg (as part of this virus).  It was between the ankle and the knee.  It was swollen and an ugly rash.  It started to clear up and like a switch was turned on, my foot swelled up and turned beet red.  On a pain scale of 1 to 10.... 10 being the worst, the virus had my body at about a 12 or 12.5.  Once the virus started receding the pain was all concentrated on the foot.  I couldn't walk.  Our friend Belle, who is a nurse, came often to check on me.  (Keep her in prayer, she went through a lot with me, believe me.)  She had been checking with Dr. Mono each time I talked to her, or when she would stop in.  Finally after a week, Dr. Mono came with her.  He said what I had was cellulites.  With my allergy to so many meds, he put me on one antibiotic.  Finally on Monday, the decision was made for me to fly stateside for treatment, since I was not responding to what I was taking. 

On Thursday, Don and I flew out.  We landed in Fort Pierce and headed to the emergency room.  Actually to the trauma center here.  Great hospital and staff.  After lots of tests and lots of probing they said, yup, that's what I had.  They added another antibiotic to what I was taking.  This is the third day and I am finally starting to respond to the meds.  Still not walking, using a wheel chair.  Not sure at this point how long we will be here.  Can't really leave until it's well on the way to being healed.  We have had to stay at a hotel, since the wheel chair wouldn't make it into the house we had hoped to stay at for a few days.  At this point, I'm tired, worn out and so ready for this to be over.  Three weeks of laying in bed is about all I can take.  Doc said two to six weeks to be totally over it all, but I should be on the way to "normal" (whatever that is) soon.

So, we are asking for prayers.  I know many, many are already praying, but please keep them coming.  And pray for Don.  He's not the best "house mother" and he said he will NEVER work in a hospital.  I think these three weeks have really worn on him, too. 

We know God is in charge and we know He can heal.  So we are depending on Him to step in and keep things on the way to healing.  We have not lost hope in Him, nor have we stopped believing He is in charge of all things.  So, I'll simply rest in Him and let Him guide and direct what happens. 

So, until I can get to the point of writing more and sharing more of what this virus is and has done, I'll close and give glory to the Lord for keeping us this far.  He knows where we are at and what we are going through.  So, I'll praise Him and rejoice in the fact He has me in the palm of His hand.

No comments: