Friday, March 2, 2018

Former news 2-4-18



I was recently struck by how attached we have become to the world of electronics and cyberspace.  Yes, we do depend on email for so many things, but it was a shock when our internet server went down for 2½ days and we didn’t have communication with anyone.  First, of course, was the fact that we had nothing from our family…that is a hard thing.  Then I thought back to when we first came to Haiti in 1983…our only communication with family (and others) was slow snail mail.  We got mail once a month the first few months here.  Then we got it every other week…wow…loved having that.  Then it went to once a week and now twice a week.  But the turn around on a letter could be 3 to 4 weeks.  NOW?  Instantly we get a reply.  Are we spoiled by all of this technology?  Very definitely.  

But when I realized how much of my end of our ministry depends on technology I was shocked.  Not just internet, but simple things like computer work.  I would guess I spend probably an average of 4 hours a day doing things on the computer, and a lot of that is for other people, not for us alone.  

So this morning, while doing my Bible study and prayer time, I realized, wow…I don’t need technology for that.  It IS an immediate connection, without technology to the One who is in control and has control over all things.  Prayer and communication with the Lord doesn’t require anything except a calm and quite heart and an open channel to Him.  

Yes, I AM thankful for technology, even if I don’t understand how almost all of it works.  It lets me serve the Lord by helping others with many things.  But I have to go back to being thankful for the One who has given knowledge and wisdom to create these things.

We’ve been busy and trying to keep things going here, like always.  We are sort of in the rainy season, but praise God it isn’t as strong as in years past.  The rains come (and yes, the roof leaks), but then the sun comes out and we can do things outside of the house.  

I had shared how I am trying to help the IDADEE orphanage again.  Well, I had mentioned to Veronique that I would love to get some updated photos of the kids.  In my mind, I was thinking of going out there and catching the kids playing, eating and just “being kids”.  Just after noon last Sunday, Vero came in and said, “Mom, the bus is here with the kids, for pictures.”  YUP, 40 kids and some adults were in the yard waiting for me.   What an experience…have you ever tried to herd chickens?  That is sort of like what I faced.  The kids were great, no problem there, but they were all so excited.  And each one wanted to be first for pictures.  Had some fun times trying to get the pics done and it was finally accomplished.  Until that night when I found I was missing ONE picture.  And some of these kiddos were real cut ups.  Goofy smiles and trying to show muscles…you know, just like normal kids.  But it was a joy, too.  As they got back on the bus, Vero gave each one a piece of candy…then as the bus started moving, I heard, “BYE GRANDMA!!!”  over and over.  I loved it.  

An added note here, check out the IDADEE blog...you can see some of the children there, and especially the new kiddos!!  www.IDADEEchildrenshome.blogspot.com 

One of the fellows Don had used to help with building projects lost a leg a few years ago. He is a great mason. First, through MFI we had gotten him a “PET”…(Personal Energy Transportation).  And he was so very thankful. Then, we had arranged for a prosthetic leg for him and he was so happy to be able to walk again. He did get himself a bicycle, and amazingly was able to peddle it.  Don just got him a tire for his bike, so he can get around again. It’s things like this that make our heart feel good.  Being able to help where there would be no help. And then add in to that, those who have received the buckets from our bucket ministry, all the kids who are now in school, those whose medical bills are paid, and medicine purchased, and all because of those of you who have helped us through prayer and support.  We wanted to add a very sincere THANK YOU for standing with us in our ministry!    

No comments: