Friday, April 24, 2009

A difficult update

I sent out an email yesterday that I thought I'd also share on here. I will give a short update at the bottom of some more news.

Greetings,
This update is a hard one for me. First, let me share that at this point, we have no real news on Rose Shirley. Oliane, mama, has been in the hospital with her since she went in well over a week and a half ago. Others have gone up and tried to get her to go and rest, but she will not leave Rose Shirley's side. Consequently, she is not sleeping, and is not in good shape. I don't think any of us would do any different. She simply cannot leave her baby's side. They have put IV's in little Rose, many times. Her hand, her arm, her leg, her foot, her head...and each time, these spots swelled up and they had to remove it. They now have it in her neck and it seems to be doing okay. With the IV in, she does a little better. When they remove it, she fails quickly. She will not eat, she is becoming very lethargic. Please pray for both Rose Shirley and for Oliane. They both need the touch of the Lord at this time.

Second, Vero and Abbie went for their visa appointment. They were refused. She even asked them to call me and check the information out with me. They refused. We had followed every step they told us to take. I sent all the information 2 weeks ahead, like I was told. They could have simply checked with the other offices in the consulate to verify the fact that we do work with them. They would not. I have told them to remove our name from the wardens list. I do not want to work with people who promise on thing and then do another. I also told them, if we weren't Christians, we could have gone the way many others have, and simply paid money on the street and gotten the visa that way. But we wanted everything to be done right and legal. Needless to say, I am VERY upset with the consulate. Now we need to pray and find a way to have Abbie taken care of while we are stateside. This will be a very difficult thing for Vero, since the problems with her husband are so prevalent. Her fear for Abbie is foremost in her mind now. So, please pray for her, for Abbie and for protection for both of them over the next two months.

Third, Dr. Steve was here to check out my leg. He put me on yet another medicine. He is not happy with the way my ankle looks. He said if this medicine doesn't work by Monday, he will put me on another one for something serious. Please pray with me that this med works and clears up the problem. I still am sitting in a chair with my leg up. I can't get anything done this way and it's very frustrating for me. Especially since we have a team here right now. They have been fantastic with all the work they have accomplished. I mean these people are working fools...they are like a whirlwind with all they have already accomplished and they have only worked for 2 days. The dorm is very definitely becoming the "Haiti Hilton". And they have also worked with another mission. This is ten people working like a crew of 30. It is astonishing how quickly and efficiently and awesome they have done things. They have kept Don hopping, and he is so happy doing it. And they have been a blessing to me, too. In amongst their whirlwind work, they have taken time to sit and talk with me. Some of this small team are teens, and wow, what a blessing they are. I praise God for the great homes these kids come from. Their parents must be so proud of such Godly, wonderful children they have raised. (And hey, the adults aren't bad either!!)

Now on the last sad thing to share with you. I received a call from Dick Snook (MFI's president) last night. Yesterday, the founder and inspiration of MFI passed away. Here is part of what Dick wrote last night:

Today, April 23, 2009, Rev. Don Bedlin, the founder of Missionary Flights International, went to be with the Lord that he has served for all of his adult life. Don was 81 years old. Don's wife, Jo, passed away a year ago. Don and Jo have two adult daughters and many grandchildren and great grandchildren. Please pray for the family over the next few days.

So, I have given you a LONG, HARD list of things to pray for. On top of all of this, two missionary women are facing breast cancer. Monica Compere and Myriam Lawson both need your prayers. Although Mike and Myriam have left Haiti, they will still be working in missions, and need our prayers. So, please, keep all of these things on your prayer list and add them to any prayer chain you have.

Our God is able and our God is in charge. We know nothing happens that He does not allow, even when we don't understand things. So, we are grasping His hands and praying He will give us peace.

In His Name and Service,
Don and Karen

This afternoon Vero and Abbie returned home. Vero said the consulate said since I have legal custody of Abbie, I had to be the one to go down for her visa. That was why she was refused, I guess. I have written them and asked for some direction as to what I can do to get this visa. Pray I will get a positive response very soon.

So, for now, God bless you all, and may you walk in the light of His word!!

No comments: