Friday, April 10, 2009

A down time for us

Hello to all,

It's been a tough two weeks. I'm writing from my laptop, so can't get photos or some of the messages I wanted to put on here. The only thing I'll share with you today is why I'm sitting in the living room, frustrated and upset. The rest I will leave until I can get back into the computer room...maybe 4 or 5 days.

On Tuesday, I woke up shaking really bad. I was SOOOOO cold. I could not stop shaking. So, I did not go to the airport. By noon, I was feeling really bad. By mid afternoon the high fever and throwing up started. Have you ever wished God would simply take you home? I sure did for the next two days. At first, I figured 24 hour flu....wrong. By Wednesday evening I noticed my left leg was beet red. Previous to that, when I first got sick, it felt like someone had hit me with a baseball bat on that leg in three places. So, then I got a bit concerned. Called some friends who are in the medical field and asked what to do. The throwing up had stopped, and the fever was off and on by that time. But I felt like a wet rag. None of our American doctors were around, but two of our nurses were. The first thing mentioned was a blood clot, but that was ruled out almost immediately. Then it was a number of things. Decision was made to use ice for the night and see if it took the swelling down. Okay, we are at miserable day 3. That morning our friends Ray and Bonnie and Belle (a nurse) came. Bonnie and Belle were going to stay with me while Don and Ray went to the airport. Now, here is where God stepped in for the first time. Belle said I needed some blood work. I could NOT walk more than maybe 15 or 20 feet, so that ruled out going somewhere for that work. Well, one of the gals we put in school....to be a lab tec...agreed to come to the house to draw the blood and agreed to work it up quickly for us. To make this already long story shorter, saw a Haitian doctor, who came here to see me. He said it was a cellulitis variety called erysipelas. Nope, I have no idea what it meant. But he told me I needed antibiotics. Okay anyone who knows me knows I have allergies to antibiotics (except a few). Another American nurse, Pat, had sent her husband out here with that for me. AND praise the Lord, our American doctor (Steve) returned from the Dominican. So, I'm off my feet, except for bathroom privilages. YES they are privilages!! But I am stuck here sitting in a chair, or laying in bed. I am not a happy camper about this, but have no choice.

Okay, NOW, add to this, yesterday (Thursday) we had a team of 18 come in. Now, I feel TOTALLY rotten. I can do nothing to help out at all. Everything, from caring for what I need, to daily routines, to team care has fallen on Don. He is SO overworked right now. Please, please keep him in prayer. Vero has helped out tremendously, and I'm so thankful for that. Being Easter weekend, she has a couple of free days. So, Abbie's care is not a problem. And the team has taken pity on us and is helping with food. Don is a good cook, but it was all a strain on him.

Well, now you know the reason I'm frustrated. But in this, as in all things, we have to know that God is in control and He can do things we can't.

The sad thing is, I'll miss Easter Sunrise Service here. I really look forward to that. But, I'll survive that too.

On a closing note....HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE. Keep the risen Savior on your mind, not only on Easter, but on every day of the year!!!

No comments: