Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dec. 14th...on our way to Christmas

I was a bit shocked when I realized I had not posted since the 9th.  Then it dawned on me, I had only sent an email to a friend about what was happening here.  I'm sorry for not keeping in touch better.

It's really been relatively quiet.  Traffic moving, things seem back to normal, although tensions still exist.  With all that was expected, nothing came about.  This is a blessing, to be sure.  But it did put our planes off for a few days.  MFI finally came in on Saturday with 2 DC-3's.  Not a whole lot of cargo for Cap Haitians, as they were taking some to 2 other cities as well.  I was not at the airport, but Don and Vero kept me informed as to what was happening.  The one plane came with passengers and then headed to PIgnon to pick up others, and come back to clear them out of country.  The second plane developed engine troubles.  .......

Let me back up here a few years... When MFI only had the radial engine planes, we would be blessed with having the pilots spend a night every so often, while they worked on the planes here, after having problems.  Since they purchased the turbine we haven't had them stay with us hardly at all.  But I used to keep a beef roast in the freezer, JUST IN CASE they had problems.  It sort of became a joke, that if there were problems, I had a beef roast for them here.  ......

Well, when Don called and said the one plane would probably be overnighting...I put on the beef roast I had.  I knew there were either 2 or 3 crew we would be putting up.  Well, it wasn't long when Don called back and said the other plane was back from Pignon, and it also had engine problems, and we would be putting them up, too.  I figured no problem.  I asked how many beds to get ready.  I wasn't sure if they had a flight attendant or not.  Don said, well, 6 crew, and 23 passengers.  We DO NOT HAVE 29 beds.  Our max is 20, if it's evenly divided between men and women.  I was about to go into panic mode.  then realized that two of the groups flying out were from missions in this area.  I called those missions and asked if they could return to the airport and pick up their teams for another night.  Very graciously they did that.  And I asked the one mission if they had room for a small team.  They did.  That meant we had the 6 crew and a small team of six from Pignon.  

Our dorm had not been used in a month, so it needed a LOT of work.  Vero called the gal who helps us and sent her over.  Two of "our guys" came, too, to help out.  And then Betty (one of our girls) came to help.  They did a superb job of cleaning and making beds up.  I had gotten three beds made, but not 12, so the help was GREATLY appreciated.  Then my next problem arose.  I had 12 people to feed.  I knew the roast would not make it.  So, I scrounged my freezer, came up with hot dogs, mac and cheese and green beans.  Not a feast, but it would do.  I knew the head of the small team, since he flew with us quite often.  But the other five I didn't know.  The Lord really blessed us with a great group.  And of course our pilots were awesome, as always.  Made pancakes for breakfast and they were off.  It took a bit for them to get the planes going, but they finally did and were in the air.  Then we found out the passenger plane had problems in  Provo.  But there they had ways to get help.  

I found out Saturday that our speaker for English church would not be able to make it.  Not a huge problem, as we could have a prayer and praise service.  I just had to let the worship leader know.  Couldn't get in touch with her, but knew it would work out.  Then Sunday afternoon, I found out that she was sick and wouldn't be there...I was asked to take over.  Although I do lead service every few months, I normally spend a day preparing for it.  God was good and gave me something I had gotten last year to share.  A good friend is an author and she had sent a three part story on "The Birth of a King" last year.  It dealt with Mary, telling Jesus the story of his birth.  What she went through in her life...as a 14 yer old girl, pregnant and not by her fiance.  What her family may have felt, what her intended must have gone through, and what the community felt.  A whole different perspective on the birth of Jesus Christ.  Yes, it was a "story", but with so many truths in it.  I have loved that whole story and am thankful for it, because it shows me that Mary was human, just as Jesus was.  That, yes, she was highly favored by the Lord.  But also that she went through a very hard time, serving the Lord.  

I do believe God honored Mary's faith and HE carried her through all those troubles.  But I also believe there is a parallel in the story for US.  WE will encounter problems and the Lord is there for us as well.  Being a Christian does not exempt us from trouble and hard times.  But it does mean we have Someone to walk with us through these times and Someone who can relate and help us to cope with it.  



I pray that this CHRISTmas season you will look beyond the glitz and glitter and realize that, that little baby came to earth for YOU and for me.  He went through more than we will ever experience, and He did it all for US.   Keep in mind the WHOLE Christmas story...yes, Jesus is the focus of it all, but the whole story shows us that God IS with us in all things.  IF we turn to Him.

Have a blessed day in Him.  Hold on to that Hand offered to you.  And keep smiling!!!

No comments: